Thursday, April 30, 2009

Aboard a Boat in the Sea

I've been going through some of the old books I have, and this illustration came from a very battered old book of Children's poetry.

This faded picture reminds me of when my siblings and I would pretend that my garden (in the middle of the blueberry patch) was an Island. Mom would pack a lunch, a storm would rise in the blueberry patch and we would suddenly become marooned. What adventures we had! Climbing the oak tree to see an approaching sail, fighting off imaginary pirates and building forts from abandoned "planking."

Sometimes I wish I could go back there.

4 comments:

Clytie said...

You should go back there, sissie! Your garden is overgrown a little, but still has the most beautiful rose bushes, daffodils, bluebells, and the old kitchen sink pond! And it is still, as it always has been, known as "Beth's Garden". I even found some of the old marbles buried there! What other treasures/memories would we find?

Lois said...

What nice memories! The picture is so lovely!

Marie Reed said...

I wish that I could go back with you! I have climbed an oak tree recently:) Johnny informed me that I couldn't be the Easter Bunny or the Easter Monkey because I didn't hop or climb trees. He called me the Easter Flower instead. I thought that his sentiment was charming but I had to prove to him that I COULD climb a tree sooo.. I did!

Pearl said...

That certainly is a Beautiful illustration, Beth... and a Lovely childhood memory! As always, thanks for sharing part of your magical world...
Happy May Day!

~blessings~
Pearl