Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Glad New Year


I was routing around in the attic day before yesterday, going through old papers and whatnot, when I found a precious letter from my beloved Grammie. She has been gone a few years now, and I miss her so. Imagine my joy at finding an entire bundle of notes and cards from her!
.
I was astonished when I opened the envelope to find this wonderful postcard and accompanying note she'd sent to me in the early 1980's. It was like a big hug from my darling little Grammie. You may not be able to tell from this scanned copy, but the poem is printed on some kind of lovely satin material which has been pressed into an embossed imprint on the postcard.
.
The card originally belonged to my grandfather's young cousin Milly. They were very close, and my Grandpa loved her. She died under tragic circumstances many many years ago. I am honored that my sweet Grandmother would give me such a wonderful treasure. What joy to find it years later at this moment.
.
As days unfold like opening flowers,
Throughout the coming year,
May each one bring its golden hours,
And joy fair and dear.

3 comments:

Lois said...

How wonderful that you have this beautiful card and all the wonderful memories of her! My dear Granny has been gone for 13 years and I still miss her so much!

Clytie said...

I hold in my heart the precious memories of the grandmas who are gone. What a special card for Grammie to have given you! Thank you for sharing it.

Deann said...

What a beautiful and percious gift. Every child should have a wonderful Grammie to love them. My own were the greatest of blessings to me. I'm glad you my sisters were also blessed with a grandmothers love.