Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cat Hat and the lil' Girl

Here is another card from our Grammie Jenny's collection. This card reflects her great love for small children, animals and flowers.

Grammie's immense flower garden was filled to the brim with lovely flowers of all kinds. There were unexpected little nooks where deer, flamingo (those pink fake ones) and faery folk lived.

I remember helping Grammie in the garden when I was a little girl. She patiently taught me how to dig the soil, add fertilizers--She showed me which plants loved the sun, which ones did not--where to plant them and how much water each needed. She told me stories about the flowers--how their lives were intertwined with our own. She was so wise. I never forgot those lessons--indeed, I passed them on to my own children.

7 comments:

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Beth Niquette

I hope you are well.

This is such a sweet picture, takes me right back to childhood. I used to attract stray cats and one one occasion looked after some kittens who had been abandonned by the Mother, she took the stronger ones behind. She would come back on her own looking for food so I fed her. I took care of the weak ones. One day I put one on my head, two on my shoulders & the other on my lap. I loved their company.
One day the Mother returned to the garden with her other kittens they were all bigger than the ones I had cared for. It was a wonderful experience to see all kittens re-united again.
Thank you for reminding me of those days.
Take care
Isabelle x

Patty said...

It would be a terrible world without Grandmothers.

Lois said...

What a wonderful legacy she left to you!

JANN said...

sweet and gentle, cherished memories

Patty said...

Good morning, about the Christmas cards for Heroes. I think it also goes to Veterans, according to what part of their web site states:
Today over 1.4 million men and women serve in the U.S. armed forces and over 24 million veterans have served in the past. The holiday season is the perfect time to honor and extend a warm holiday greeting to those who’ve served and continue to do so.

Catherine said...

Very sweet. And what a wonderful legacy she has given you to pass on to your family!

Clytie said...

Love it!!!