Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bath Time Baby


When we were kids, Mom would make all of us take a bath every Saturday evening.  We never wanted to take that bath--especially in summertime.  We'd been playing in the creek, splashing in Grandma's pool, running through the sprinkler and soaking each other with the hose--wasn't that good enough?  That weekly bath would cleanse us from the week's wear and tear--readying us for church the following day.

When I was very small, Mom would sing, "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he?"  Singing that song was the only way she could get me to cooperate when she shampooed my hair. 

This picture reminds me of all the babies I've ever known.  I'm sure all babies have bathed in a sink, or a pan of water at one time or another--What splashings, what gigglings, what fun!

Sometimes I miss those days--but not always.

4 comments:

Tattered and Lost said...

I actually have an old movie of myself sitting in a little metal tub playing with my doll. It was on Midway Island and I have to say I looked so darn cute with my ringlets and beaming smile.

Terra said...

I too recall the fuzzy wuzzy verse, and this looks very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Irene said...

this is so adorable. We had the weekly bath as well, you had to be clean for church. We didn't run through sprinklers too much, but we did have the tin tubs. Isn't that hilarious, I guess now we'd think this was barbaric. I can remember running the garden hose from the laundry room so the water in the sprinkler wasn't so cold for my kids. My eldest was always so cold, he'd turn blue. Love this. Thanks for the cheer.

Clytie said...

What a delicious little card ... and wonderful memories! I actually remember 4 of us being in the tub at the same time, splashing up bubbles until they went flat ... what fun memories!!!