Friday, September 20, 2013

September Sapphire -Postcard Friendship Friday #186



September is one of my favorite months of the year.  It has a certain nostalgic feel to it--something both sweet and sad, yet exhilarating.

It is no wonder the sapphire is the birthstone for September.  The stone's rich intense blue echoes the blue skies which often accompany summer's sojourn into Fall. In olden times, Persians believed the earth rested upon a giant sapphire and its deep blue color filled the sky.

An ancient tradition tells us Moses was given the Ten Commandments on tablets of sapphire.  The sapphire has long symbolized divine favor, truth, sincerity and faithfulness.  These lovely jewels were worn by kings, queens and high priests. The British Crown Jewels are full of large blue sapphires.  Indeed, Prince Charles chose a sapphire engagement ring for Princess Diana.

In days past, the sapphire was once thought to have healing powers.  The stone was said to remove  impurities, to clear a person's mind of illness and was considered a powerful talisman--a guiding star for travelers and seekers.

I have loved blue sapphires all my life.  Too bad I wasn't born in September!  lol  Have a marvelous day, dear friends and Happy Postcard  Friendship Friday.

LINKING UP You can put your link in any time between now and next Thursday.  Postcard Friendship Friday is open for the entire week! 

BADGE When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you!

*  THEMES: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

*  REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising will be deleted. Also, any and all suspicious links which do not lead to a correct website will be reported and deleted.







4 comments:

Maria said...

Hello Beth, happy PFF! Another nice prose on postcard from you! I love these postcards that you're sharing.

I wish you a relaxing weekend.

Postcardy said...

I never knew any of that interesting information about sapphires before.

Irene said...

I love sapphire`s too,just pretend your birthday is in September, lovely card.

Grace Bailhache said...

Hello Beth,

I hope you're fine as well as everyone around you. It's been a while and indeed I miss this friday "rendez-vous".

For my entrie this week, I'm not only presenting a postcard but also a demand, I hope it's won't be a problem. Anyway, I would totally understand if it was the case.

Actually I'm more intro ruby (I don't know if it's the correct way to write it) but sapphyre are quiet intriguing. I learn much about them thanks to you.

I guess, Irene advice is the good one.

All my best to you and happy PFF !


Grace